Were you born on December 23rd? If so, then according to Western astrology your zodiac sign is Capricorn, the sign of the makara, or sea monster. This means that when you were born, the Sun was in the stars that make up the constellation known as Capricorn. Learn the basics of your horoscope below.
Capricorn is known as मकर (makara) in Sanskrit, or “crocodile.” Each sign of the zodiac is characterized by certain basic traits. This includes Symbol, Planetary Ruler, Element, Nature, and Gender. The general make-up of the Capricorn sign is below:
Sign of the Makara. Capricorn natives are peculiar and powerful. They are very intelligent, but they often have a mean streak.
Ruled by Saturn. Saturn is the planet of karma, poverty, disease, austerity, and mysticism. Saturnine individuals are somber and mysterious.
An earth sign. Those with a Capricorn moon are grounded, thoughtful, and practical.
A movable sign. Persons born under this sign are fluid, spontaneous, and fond of change.
A feminine sign. This makes the native receptive, sensitive, and empathetic.
Capricorn’s preferred gemstone is blue sapphire. Capricorn can also benefit from blue spinel and amethyst as well.
Traits of the Sun in Capricorn
In Western Astrology, also known as Tropical astrology, a person’s sign is determined by the position of the Sun. If you were born on December 23rd, then you’re considered a Capricorn according to most people in the Western world.
The influence of the Sun in a birth chart will change depending on which house it is located in, its relative position in relation to other planets, as well as other factors. However, the following general traits are likely to be found in a native whose Sun is in Capricorn:
You are a natural businessperson. You are drawn to business, trade, and earning money. You can do well in an independent and competitive business environment. However, you may resort to unethical business practices. By giving a portion of your earnings in charity to a good cause, you can reduce your tendency toward greed.
You like to be on the move. You love to walk and see new places. You enjoy traveling. You are likely to have friends from foreign places, and you may do well in a business or profession that requires regular travel.
You have strong digestion. You like to eat and you have a good metabolism. This helps you stay in good shape and in sound physical health. According to Ayurveda, the digestive fire is one of the main factors that promotes wellbeing. When our digestion is weak, we are unable to properly assimilate food and this causes different varieties of disease.
You may struggle to live up to your full potential. You have many ambitions and ideas about what you could do in life, but you lack the motivation and willpower to see them through. By finding a mentor you will be able to properly channel your energies and will have a greater chance of realizing your full potential.
You are likely to have a variety of professions in life. You have diverse interests and are likely to pursue a number of different careers over the course of your life. Just be careful not to abandon a good opportunity solely out of boredom. If needed, you can always take up a side job or hobby without sacrificing your financial stability.
Capricorn-natives are hard workers who can be found in a wide variety of professions.
Recommended careers: Anything stimulating to the intellect. Capricorns make good lawyers, writers, scientists, philosophers, professors, detectives, financial advisors, administrators, or industrialists.
Careers to avoid: You may want to avoid careers that require negotiation or compromise. For example, sales, diplomacy, or sports management.
A mantra is a short phrase that uplifts and cleanses our mind, heart, and consciousness. Most suffering takes place only within the mind, and by practicing mantra meditation, we can experience total relief from all suffering and negativity.
The Vedic wisdom texts offer many different mantras, powerful and sacred sound vibrations, that are customized for each individual depending on their unique, personal circumstances.
Capricorns can especially benefit by meditating with the following mantra:
ॐ वामनाय नमः
Om kurma-devaya namaha
The Vedas contain many mantras that are effective for different people according to their particular situation. However, some mantras are universal. The following maha-mantra, or “super mantra,” is beneficial for people born in any zodiac sign:
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण कृष्ण कृष्ण हरे हरे
हरे राम हरे राम राम राम हरे हरे
Hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare
Hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare
RECOMMENDED: In ancient times, all astrologers made calculations using the same sidereal system that’s used in Vedic astrology. Check out our article on the differences between Western and Vedic astrology to learn more.
Famous Birthdays on December 23
- George Wassouf
- Eddie Wedder
- Carla Bruni
- Kana Kurashina
- Corey Halm
- Joseph Smith
- Madam C.J Walker
- Akiko Yada
- Claudia Rala
Events in History on December 23
- 1997: Ballon d’Or: Barcelona/Inter’s Brazilian striker Ronaldo wins his first of 2 best football player in Europe
- 1987: Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme, serving a life sentence for attempted assassination of President Gerald Ford, escapes from Alderson Prison
- 1984: West Indies batsman Viv Richards scores 208 vs Ausatralia in test match at the Melbourne Cricket Ground
- 1971: British Prime Minister Edward Heath visits Northern Ireland and expresses his determination to end the violence
- 1961: Fidel Castro announces Cuba will release 1,113 prisoners from failed 1961 Bay of Pigs Invasion
- 1947: Transistor invented by John Bardeen, Walter H. Brattain and William Shockley in Bell Labs
- 1945: Pope Pius XII encyclical Orientals omnes, about Rutheense church
- 1943: General Bernard Montgomery told he is appointed commandant for D-day
- 1922: Pope Pius XI pleas for peace: encyclical Ubi arcano
- 1921: Visva-Bharati University is inaugurated in Santiniketan, West Bengal, India, founded by Rabindranath Tagore
- 1913: US President Woodrow Wilson signs Federal Reserve Act into law
- 1815: “Emma” By Jane Austen by published by John Murray in London
- 1793: Thomas Jefferson warns of slave revolts in the West Indies
- 1783: US General George Washington resigns his military commission as Commander-in-Chief of the Army to Congress
RECOMMENDED: Check out all our articles on Vedic astrology to learn more about the different signs of the zodiac, as well as the planets, houses, and nakshatras.