Were you born on October 23rd? If so, then according to Western astrology your zodiac sign is Scorpio, the sign of the Scorpion. This means that when you were born, the Sun was in the stars that make up the constellation known as Scorpio. Learn the basics of your horoscope below.
Scorpio is known as वृश्चिक (vrishchika) in Sanskrit, or “scorpion.” Each sign of the zodiac is characterized by certain basic traits. This includes Symbol, Planetary Ruler, Element, Nature, and Gender. The general make-up of the Scorpio sign is below:
Sign of the Scorpion. Scorpio natives are intense and secretive. They may react harshly if provoked.
Ruled by Mars. Mars is the planet of war, explosions, sudden events, and land. Martian individuals are hard-working and self-confident
A water sign. Those with a Scorpio moon are perceptive, artistic, and sentimental.
A fixed sign. Persons born under this sign are steady, predictable, and slow to change.
A feminine sign. This makes the native receptive, sensitive, and empathetic.
Scorpio’s preferred gemstone is red coral. Scorpios can also benefit from pink and white coral as well.
Traits of the Sun in Scorpio
In Western Astrology, also known as Tropical astrology, a person’s sign is determined by the position of the Sun. If you were born on October 23rd, then you’re considered a Scorpio according to most people in the Western world.
The influence of the Sun in a birth chart will change depending on which house it is located in, its relative position in relation to other planets, as well as other factors. However, the following general traits are likely to be found in a native whose Sun is in Scorpio:
You are impulsive. You approach life with intensity and you don’t like to waste time when making decisions. Some people find this trait impressive and attractive. However, you may also find yourself regularly facing unexpected consequences.
You have great courage. Natives with the Sun in Scorpio have a fearless quality about them. They are self-reliant and powerful. You know how to get yourself out of difficult situations. You may be a leader or pioneer in your field.
You are very intelligent. You have a burning passion for learning and expanding your knowledge of many varieties of subjects. You understand that knowledge is power, and you eagerly devour books, articles, and other content on topics that interest you.
You may frequently “go through the motions” of life. Because you are an intense person it is difficult for you to find meaning and fulfillment in the ordinary activities of day-to-day life. You may feel like your daily life is monotonous and you are running on autopilot. Developing a practice of meditation can help you become mindful and more appreciative of your surroundings and the people in your life.
You are likely to be more successful later in life. You may find that your inspiration and drive is somewhat lacking during the first part of your life. You are not likely to advance personally or professionally as much as you would like. However, once you enter your 30s you will start to see a visible improvement.
Scorpios are tactical and precise. You manage your money well, and can succeed in a number of professions, including those in the realms of spirituality and mysticism. However, you may feel an urge to travel frequently, which could make long-term employment difficult.
Recommended careers: Scorpios make excellent surgeons, business professionals, naval or military officers, scientists, chemists, lawyers, political advisors, and administrators.
Careers to avoid: You may want to avoid roles that require a high degree of charisma or charm. For example, a career in television, sales, or diplomacy would not be the best fit for a Scorpio.
A mantra is a short phrase that uplifts and cleanses our mind, heart, and consciousness. Most suffering takes place only within the mind, and by practicing mantra meditation, we can experience total relief from all suffering and negativity.
The Vedic wisdom texts offer many different mantras, powerful and sacred sound vibrations, that are customized for each individual depending on their unique, personal circumstances.
Scorpios can especially benefit by meditating with the following mantra:
ॐ नरसिंहदेवाय नमः
Om narasimha-devaya namaha
The Vedas contain many mantras that are effective for different people according to their particular situation. However, some mantras are universal. The following maha-mantra, or “super mantra,” is beneficial for people born in any zodiac sign:
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण कृष्ण कृष्ण हरे हरे
हरे राम हरे राम राम राम हरे हरे
Hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare
Hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare
RECOMMENDED: In ancient times, all astrologers made calculations using the same sidereal system that’s used in Vedic astrology. Check out our article on the differences between Western and Vedic astrology to learn more.
Famous Birthdays on October 23rd
- Ryan Reynolds
- Alvaro Morata
- Seo in-guk
- Ireland Baldwin
- Amandla Stenberg
- Masako Ohara
- Meghan Mccain
- Kate Del Castillo
- Izabel Goulart
- Johnny Carson
- Naomi Watanabe
- Dwight Yoakam
- Masiela Lusha
- Paul Kagame
- Ang Lee
- Briana Evigan
- Jessica Stroup
- Cat Deeley
Events in History on Oct 23rd
- 2018: World’s longest sea-crossing bridge, the Hong Kong Macau Zhuhai bridge at 55km, opened by Chinese President Xi Jinping
- 2015: Adele releases her single “Hello” – becomes 1st song with more than a million downloads in 1st week (1.1m)
- 2012: “Skyfall”, 23rd James Bond film, directed by Sam Mendes and starring Daniel Craig and Javier Bardem premieres in London< /li>
- 2008: Joe Sakic scores his final career goal (#625) against the Edmonton Oilers
- 1998: Britney Spears releases her debut single “Baby One More Time” 
- 1998: Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian Chairman Yasser Arafat reach a “land for peace” agreement.
- 1992: Emperor Akihito becomes the first Emperor of Japan to stand on Chinese soil
- 1991: Dr Jack Kevorkian’s suicide machine assists 2 women to commit suicide
- 1991: Clarence Thomas sworn in as US Supreme Court Justice
- 1989: George Harrison releases “Best of Dark Horse 1976-89” album
- 1973: 19 year old American tennis star Chris Evert retains her WTA Tour Championship at Boca Raton,
- 1973: Richard Nixon agrees to turn over White House tape recordings to Judge John Sirica
- 1962: Adlai Stevenson speaks at the United Nations about the Cuba crisis
- 1958: Soviet novelist Boris Pasternak, wins Nobel Prize for Literature
- 1952: Charlie Chaplin’s “Limelight”, starring himself and Claire Bloom, with an appearance by Buster Keaton, premieres in New York City
- 1951: English chemist Rosalind Franklin first identifies the two types of carbon produced by temperature, in paper published by the Royal Society
- 1950: Filipino President Elpidio Quirino issues Executive Order No. 355 replacing the National Land Settlement Administration
- 1935: Mackenzie King is elected as Prime Minister of Canada for the third time
- 1922: Conservative Andrew Bonar Law forms government in United Kingdom
RECOMMENDED: Check out all our articles on Vedic astrology to learn more about the different signs of the zodiac, as well as the planets, houses, and nakshatras.